Monday 21 November 2016

**Louise Beech** on Book Groups

Today on The Good Book Group blog we welcome the lovely Louise Beech! 

Louise is the author of two books, "How to be Brave" and "The Mountain in my Shoe". Both books have absolutely staggering ratings on Goodreads and Amazon with reviews that are extremely effusive and passionate about both books. But, before you run off and add them to your To Be Read list, listen to what Louise has to say about book groups! 

Thank you so much Louise for coming along to the blog today and for sharing the love about Book Groups! Over to Louise.....

How to Be BraveLouise BeechThe Mountain in My Shoe


Book groups or reading groups are my absolute favourite thing. By that I mean they are the ‘event’ (for want of a better word) that I love best about having a book published and out there in the world. It can be quite disheartening at times to sit in a bookshop, hoping someone will buy your novel, smiling sweetly and watching everyone go to the bigger names or books with half off. I’m not a saleswoman, I’m a writer, and that’s what I love doing. So book groups are what it’s about. 

Festivals are wonderful but can be utterly terrifying; having to stand and talk to an audience who may well be there for someone else on your panel or for the person after you. Book launches are exciting affairs too but often pass in such a nervous (and yes wine-fuelled!) haze that you barely remember them afterwards.

But being invited to a reading or book group, that is the best. These people are the reason I’ve always written stories; everyday, real, human, actual people. Folks who adore reading. Because I am one of those people. I love books, and love reading them as much as writing them. So I’m among my own here. And talking about the very thing with them that I’ve spent many months, sometimes years, creating. What could be better?

I’ve ‘joined’ book groups all over the country, even when it couldn’t be in physical person.  Sometimes it was only via a video recorded especially for that group, or via some photos sent (especially for How to be Brave, which was inspired by the true story of my grandfather’s bravery at sea during the war), or via an email. When I can actually get to a group, I will. I’ve sat in people’s living rooms, in cosy pubs, in church halls and in libraries for them. In all cases, it was all about the words. Discussion. Passion. Stories.

So when I get asked, would you meet our book group, the answer is always yes. Absolutely yes. Invite me. Please. Anytime. I love you guys.

Aw, we love you too Louise!! 

How's that - an author asking to be invited along to your group?! And don't be put off by distance, Louise is happy for a 'virtual' chat via the internet if that is easier. If you want to find out more about Louise then follow her on Twitter @LouiseWriter or visit her website louisebeech.co.uk 

Thanks again Louise. 

If you have enjoyed this then please check the Good Book Group blog for more interviews and book group questions with Louise and don't forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook @goodbookuk

No comments:

Post a Comment